Laborers perform tasks involving physical labor at construction sites & may operate hand and power tools, clean and prepare sites, and assist other craft workers.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Control traffic passing near, in, or around work zones.
- Clean or prepare construction sites to eliminate possible hazards.
- Signal equipment operators to facilitate alignment, movement, or adjustment of machinery, equipment, or materials.
- Read plans, instructions, or specifications to determine work activities.
- Load, unload, or identify building materials, machinery, or tools, distributing them to the appropriate locations, according to project plans or specifications.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Multilimb Coordination — The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
- Static Strength — The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
- Control Precision — The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Levels — Carpenters' levels; Laser levels; Spirit levels; Water levels
- Manlift or personnel lift — Bosun chairs; Manlifts; Swing chairs; Swing stages
- Power saws — Circular saws; Hydraulic track-guided wall saws; Reciprocating saws; Walk-behind saws
- Vacuum cleaners — Ride-on vacuum cleaners; Sidewalk sweepers; Suction sweepers
- Water trucks — Jet trucks for cleaning sewer lines; Water spraying equipment; Water tank trucks
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $33,430 or $16.07/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $21,510 and $62,600.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 70% had a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.