Glaziers install glass in windows, skylights, store fronts, and display cases, or on surfaces, such as building fronts, interior walls, ceilings, and tabletops.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Fabricate or install metal sashes or moldings for glass installation, using aluminum or steel framing.
- Determine plumb of walls or ceilings, using plumb lines and levels.
- Fasten glass panes into wood sashes or frames with clips, points, or moldings, adding weather seals or putty around pane edges to seal joints.
- Prepare glass for cutting by resting it on rack edges or against cutting tables and brushing thin layer of oil along cutting lines or dipping cutting tools in oil.
- Cut, fit, install, repair, or replace glass or glass substitutes, such as plastic or aluminum, in building interiors or exteriors or in furniture or other products.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Handling and Moving Objects — Using hands and arms in handling, installing, positioning, and moving materials, and manipulating things.
- Getting Information — Observing, receiving, and otherwise obtaining information from all relevant sources.
- Performing General Physical Activities — Performing physical activities that require considerable use of your arms and legs and moving your whole body, such as climbing, lifting, balancing, walking, stooping, and handling of materials.
- Communicating with Supervisors, Peers, or Subordinates — Providing information to supervisors, co-workers, and subordinates by telephone, in written form, e-mail, or in person.
- Inspecting Equipment, Structures, or Material — Inspecting equipment, structures, or materials to identify the cause of errors or other problems or defects.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Glass cutters — Automatic cutting tables; Notched glass-breaking tools; Side cutters; Wheel cutters
- Grinding or polishing machines — Glass bevelers; Glass routers; Polishing machines; Portable air routers
- Levels — Builders' levels; Laser levels; Spirit levels
- Power saws — Cutoff saws; Glass saws; Reciprocating saws; Saber saws
- Tape measures — Measuring tapes; Story pole tape measures; Telescoping measuring rods
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $41,920 or $20.16/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $26,820 and $81,050.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 60% had high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees. A recognized apprenticeship program may be associated with these occupations.