BRICK & BLOCK MASONS
Watch a pro
Brick & block masons lay and bind building materials, such as brick, structural tile, concrete block, cinder block, glass block, and terra-cotta block, with mortar and other substances to construct or repair walls, partitions, arches, sewers, and other structures.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Remove excess mortar with trowels and hand tools, and finish mortar joints with jointing tools, for a sealed, uniform appearance.
- Construct corners by fastening in plumb position a corner pole or building a corner pyramid of bricks, and filling in between the corners using a line from corner to corner to guide each course, or layer, of brick.
- Measure distance from reference points and mark guidelines to lay out work, using plumb bobs and levels.
- Break or cut bricks, tiles, or blocks to size, using trowel edge, hammer, or power saw.
- Interpret blueprints and drawings to determine specifications and to calculate the materials required.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Static Strength — The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
- Trunk Strength — The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Dynamic Strength — The ability to exert muscle force repeatedly or continuously over time. This involves muscular endurance and resistance to muscle fatigue.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Cold chisels — Brick bolsters; Brick sets; Pitching chisels; Tile chisels
- Hammers — Bush hammers; Carpenters' hammers; Striking tools; Tile hammers
- Levels — Laser levels; Masonry levels; Water levels
- Manlift or personnel lift — Bosun chairs; Swing stages; Work cages
- Trowels — Adhesive trowels; Pointing trowels; Power trowels; Sled runner jointers
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $49,250 or $23.68/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $30,070 and $84,100.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 58% had less than a high school diploma. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.