Painters paint walls, equipment, buildings, bridges, and other structural surfaces, using brushes, rollers, and spray guns. May remove old paint to prepare surface prior to painting. May mix colors or oils to obtain desired color or consistency.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Fill cracks, holes, or joints with caulk, putty, plaster, or other fillers, using caulking guns or putty knives.
- Cover surfaces with dropcloths or masking tape and paper to protect surfaces during painting.
- Smooth surfaces, using sandpaper, scrapers, brushes, steel wool, or sanding machines.
- Read work orders or receive instructions from supervisors or homeowners to determine work requirements.
- Apply primers or sealers to prepare new surfaces, such as bare wood or metal, for finish coats.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Trunk Strength — The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Extent Flexibility — The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs.
- Gross Body Equilibrium — The ability to keep or regain your body balance or stay upright when in an unstable position.
- Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- and sprayers — Hopper guns; Pneumatic spray texture guns; Spray texture guns; Stucco patching guns
- Manlift or personnel lift — Aerial lifts; Bosun chairs; Hydraulic lifts; Swing stages
- Paint sprayers — Airless spray equipment; High velocity low pressure HVLP spraying equipment; Spray guns; Striping machines
- Pressure or steam cleaners — Hydroblasters; Pressure washers; Steam cleaning equipment; Wallpaper steamers
- Putty knives — Drywall taping knives; Patching knives; Spackling knives
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $37,570, or $18.06/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $24,860 and $63,670.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 52% had a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.