Reinforcing Iron and Rebar Workers
Reinforcing iron and rebar workers position and secure steel bars or mesh in concrete forms in order to reinforce concrete using a variety of fasteners, rod-bending machines, blowtorches, and hand tools.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Determine quantities, sizes, shapes, and locations of reinforcing rods from blueprints, sketches, or oral instructions.
- Space and fasten together rods in forms according to blueprints, using wire and pliers.
- Position and secure steel bars, rods, cables, or mesh in concrete forms, using fasteners, rod-bending machines, blowtorches, or hand tools.
- Cut rods to required lengths, using metal shears, hacksaws, bar cutters, or acetylene torches.
- Place blocks under rebar to hold the bars off the deck when reinforcing floors.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Static Strength — The ability to exert maximum muscle force to lift, push, pull, or carry objects.
- Trunk Strength — The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Multilimb Coordination — The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Bending machines — Automatic rebar tying tools; Portable hydraulic rod benders
- Blow torch — Acetylene torches; Torches
- Hickeys — Hickey bars; Rebar benders
- Power saws — Cutoff saws; Jig saws
- Pry bars — Crowbars; Wrecking bars
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $47,600, or $22.89/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $29,720 and $89,980.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 37% had less than a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.