Watch a pro
Road builders operate equipment used for applying concrete, asphalt, or other materials to road beds, parking lots, or airport runways and taxiways, or equipment used for tamping gravel, dirt, or other materials. Includes concrete and asphalt paving machine operators, form tampers, tamping machine operators, and stone spreader operators.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Operate machines to spread, smooth, level, or steel-reinforce stone, concrete, or asphalt on road beds.
- Observe distribution of paving material to adjust machine settings or material flow, and indicate low spots for workers to add material.
- Control traffic.
- Light burners or start heating units of machines, and regulate screed temperatures and asphalt flow rates.
- Inspect, clean, maintain, and repair equipment, using mechanics' hand tools, or report malfunctions to supervisors.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Control Precision — The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- Multilimb Coordination — The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
- Rate Control — The ability to time your movements or the movement of a piece of equipment in anticipation of changes in the speed and/or direction of a moving object or scene.
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Asphalt finishers — Paving finishing machines; Power extendable screeds
- Bituminous material distributors — Asphalt distributor trucks; Liquid asphalt storage equipment; Oil distributors
- Paving material mixers — Asphalt mixing equipment; Hot mix material transfer devices; Self-propelled material transfer devices; Windrow pickup machines
- Road pavers — Automatic paving control systems; Concrete paving machines; Robotic paving machines; Rubber-track asphalt pavers
- Rollers — Manual rollers; Pneumatic rollers; Static rollers; Vibratory rollers
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $38,970 or $18.74/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $26,150 and $70,020.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.