Roofers cover roofs of structures with shingles, slate, asphalt, aluminum, wood, or related materials. May spray roofs, sidings, and walls with material to bind, seal, insulate, or soundproof sections of structures.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Cement or nail flashing strips of metal or shingle over joints to make them watertight.
- Inspect problem roofs to determine the best repair procedures.
- Set up scaffolding to provide safe access to roofs.
- Estimate materials and labor required to complete roofing jobs.
- Remove snow, water, or debris from roofs prior to applying roofing materials.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Body Equilibrium — The ability to keep or regain your body balance or stay upright when in an unstable position.
- Extent Flexibility — The ability to bend, stretch, twist, or reach with your body, arms, and/or legs.
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
- Trunk Strength — The ability to use your abdominal and lower back muscles to support part of the body repeatedly or continuously over time without 'giving out' or fatiguing.
- Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Blow torch — Double-lock seamers; Propane torches; Single seamers; Torches
- Hammers — Nail hammers; Plastic hammers; Seaming hammers; Slate hammers
- Hatchets — Carpenters' hatchets; Metric roofing hatchets; Standard roofing hatchets; Wood shingling hatchets
- Hip and ridge — Roofing spades; Shake tear-off tools; Shingle rippers; Tear-off shovels
- Hoists — Hydraulic swing beam hoists; Power hoists; Shingle ladder hoists; Trolley track hoists
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $37,760, or $18.15/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $25,040 and $64,630.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 49% had high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.