Rough carpenters build rough wooden structures, such as concrete forms, scaffolds, tunnel, bridge, or sewer supports, billboard signs, and temporary frame shelters, according to sketches, blueprints, or oral instructions.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Measure materials or distances, using square, measuring tape, or rule to lay out work.
- Study blueprints and diagrams to determine dimensions of structure or form to be constructed.
- Cut or saw boards, timbers, or plywood to required size, using handsaw, power saw, or woodworking machine.
- Mark cutting lines on materials, using pencil and scriber.
- Anchor and brace forms and other structures in place, using nails, bolts, anchor rods, steel cables, planks, wedges, and timbers.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
- Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
- Problem Sensitivity — The ability to tell when something is wrong or is likely to go wrong. It does not involve solving the problem, only recognizing there is a problem.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Ladders — Extension ladders; Fold-up ladders; Non-conducting ladders
- Levels — Self-stopping levels; Spirit levels; Torpedo levels; Visible beam laser levels
- Power saws — Beam saws; Circular saws; Reciprocating saws; Worm-drive saws
- Screwdrivers — Multi-tip screwdrivers; Phillips head screwdrivers; Straight screwdrivers
- Tape measures — Cross-curve tape measures; Measuring tapes; Story pole tape measures
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $43,600 or $20.96/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $27,070 and $79,480.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 39% had a high school diploma or equivalent. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.