STRUCTURAL METAL FABRICATORS AND FITTERS
Structural metal fabricators and fitters fabricate, position, align, and fit parts of structural metal products.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
- Verify conformance of workpieces to specifications, using squares, rulers, and measuring tapes.
- Align and fit parts according to specifications, using jacks, turnbuckles, wedges, drift pins, pry bars, and hammers.
- Move parts into position, manually or with hoists or cranes.
- Position, align, fit, and weld parts to form complete units or subunits, following blueprints and layout specifications, and using jigs, welding torches, and hand tools.
- Study engineering drawings and blueprints to determine materials requirements and task sequences.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Arm-Hand Steadiness — The ability to keep your hand and arm steady while moving your arm or while holding your arm and hand in one position.
- Control Precision — The ability to quickly and repeatedly adjust the controls of a machine or a vehicle to exact positions.
- Multilimb Coordination — The ability to coordinate two or more limbs (for example, two arms, two legs, or one leg and one arm) while sitting, standing, or lying down. It does not involve performing the activities while the whole body is in motion.
- Near Vision — The ability to see details at close range (within a few feet of the observer).
- Manual Dexterity — The ability to quickly move your hand, your hand together with your arm, or your two hands to grasp, manipulate, or assemble objects.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Drill press or radial drill — Drill presses; Magnetic drill presses; Radial drills
- Hydraulic press brake — Computerized numerical control CNC press brakes; Straightening presses
- Punches or nail sets or drifts — Center punches; Drift pins; Punches
- Shears — Beverly shears; Hand shears; Unishears
- Welder torch — Hand torch welders; Welding torches
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $37,730 or $18.14/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $25,410 and $58,900.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 47% had a high school diploma or equivalent. Most occupations in this zone require training in vocational schools, related on-the-job experience, or an associate's degree. Employees in these occupations usually need one or two years of training involving both on-the-job experience and informal training with experienced workers.