Surveyors exact measurements and determine property boundaries & provide data relevant to the shape, contour, gravitation, location, elevation, or dimension of land or land features on or near the earth's surface for engineering, mapmaking, mining, land evaluation, construction, and other purposes.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Verify the accuracy of survey data, including measurements and calculations conducted at survey sites.
Direct or conduct surveys to establish legal boundaries for properties, based on legal deeds and titles.
Prepare or supervise preparation of all data, charts, plots, maps, records, and documents related to surveys.
Prepare and maintain sketches, maps, reports, and legal descriptions of surveys to describe, certify, and assume liability for work performed.
Write descriptions of property boundary surveys for use in deeds, leases, or other legal documents.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
- Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of alternative solutions, conclusions or approaches to problems.
- Deductive Reasoning — The ability to apply general rules to specific problems to produce answers that make sense.
- Mathematical Reasoning — The ability to choose the right mathematical methods or formulas to solve a problem.
- Written Comprehension — The ability to read and understand information and ideas presented in writing.
- Oral Comprehension — The ability to listen to and understand information and ideas presented through spoken words and sentences.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Laser measuring systems — Automatic slope lasers; Handheld measuring lasers; Line lasers
- Lasers — Dot lasers; Invisible beam lasers; Rotary lasers; Visible beam lasers
- Levels — Automatic levels; Electronic digital levels; Hand levels
- Measuring rods — Digital measuring poles; Rod levels; San Francisco rods; Surveyors leveling rods
- Theodolites — Electronic digital theodolites; Long range reflectorless total stations; Prismless total stations; Total stations
AT A GLANCE
AVERAGE ANNUAL WAGE
The average annual wage is $59,390, or $28.56/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $33,630 and $98,360.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 42% had a bachelors degree. Most of these occupations require a four-year bachelor's degree, but some do not. Employees in these occupations usually need several years of work-related experience, on-the-job training, and/or vocational training.