Tile and Marble Setters
Tile and marble setters apply hard tile, marble, and wood tile to walls, floors, ceilings, and roof decks.
WHAT YOU'LL DO
Cut and shape tile to fit around obstacles and into odd spaces and corners, using hand and power cutting tools.
Lay and set mosaic tiles to create decorative wall, mural, and floor designs.
Align and straighten tile using levels, squares, and straightedges.
Determine and implement the best layout to achieve a desired pattern.
Measure and mark surfaces to be tiled, following blueprints.
SKILLS & ABILITIES REQUIRED
Critical Thinking — Using logic and reasoning to identify the strengths and weaknesses of
Active Listening — Giving full attention to what other people are saying, taking time to understand the points being made, asking questions as appropriate, and not interrupting at inappropriate times.
Coordination — Adjusting actions in relation to others' actions.
Speaking — Talking to others to convey information effectively.
Mathematics — Using mathematics to solve problems.
TOOLS OF THE TRADE
- Floats — Bull floats; Grout floats; Magnesium floats; Wood floats
- Plaster or mortar mixers — Colloidal mixers; Drum cement mixers; Horizontal shaft mixers; Mixing drills
- Power grinders — Base grinders; Floor grinding machines; Mini grinders; Stone grinders
- Scaffolding — Ladder jacks; Mechanical scaffolds; Rolling scaffolds; Stationary scaffolds
- Trowels — Buttering trowels; Gauging trowels; Notch trowels; Point trowels
AT A GLANCE
Average Annual WAGE
The average annual wage is $40,460, or $19.45/hour.
Annual salaries range betweeen $24,200 and $71,260.
JOB OPENINGS (THROUGH 2026)
DEMAND (THROUGH 2026)
EDUCATION & TRAINING REQUIRED
On average, 51% had less than high school diploma. These occupations usually require a high school diploma. Employees in these occupations need anywhere from a few months to one year of working with experienced employees.